Tips That Can Ease Dental Anxiety
Posted by Kevin Fong on Jan 16 2023, 01:09 AM
Many people avoid going to the dentist due to anxiety. However, some dental issues can only be fixed with a professional dentist.
Overcoming Your Fears
Before you visit the dentist, it’s best to do some research so that you know what to expect during your appointment and so that you can familiarize yourself with the sights and sounds of the office to help alleviate any dread you may have toward it. You can also ask your dentist if you have any questions about treatment. If you’re still feeling anxious, there are a few other tips that can help you feel more relaxed before your appointment.
- If you suffer from severe anxiety or nerves at the thought of going to the dentist’s office, consider asking your dentist if they offer sedation dentistry during your visit. Some patients find that taking a pill or receiving nitrous oxide helps to relax them and alleviate their fears of visiting the dentist.
- Practice deep breathing techniques to calm yourself down and relax your body and mind. When you begin to feel panicked about the appointment, take a break and take a few deep breaths before you continue with your day. Deep breathing can help to slow your heart rate down and make you feel calmer and more collected.
- Bring a friend or family member with you to your dental appointment to help you stay calm and relaxed while you’re there. Sometimes having someone you trust by your side can help you feel more at ease in the office.
- Ask your dentist if you can listen to music during your procedure to help ease your stress. Many offices don’t mind you using headphones to listen to music during your treatment, and it can help to distract you from the procedure itself. Listening to music can also help you relax while you wait in the waiting room for your turn for treatment.
- Another way to stay calm throughout your visit is to bring your favorite stress-relieving toy with you. This could be anything from a favorite stuffed animal to a fidget spinner – whatever can help you relax!
If avoiding the dentist’s office due to anxiety is keeping you from a healthy smile, talk to your dentist about a solution that works for you so you can have a healthier mouth.
Visit Kevin D Fong, DDS, at 944 W Winton Ave, Hayward, CA 94545, to learn more about oral care. You can also call (510) 783-1572 for an appointment.